About Us

The DFCSS aims to be a thriving and sustainable membership organisation, providing positive experiences using sport and football in particular to benefit its members, other Club supporters and the community served by the Club.

BACKGROUND

Dundee FC Supporters Society Limited was registered by the Financial Services Authority on the 27th February 2004 (Reg. 2639 RS). The Society came about as a result of the incredible fundraising efforts of the Dee4Life campaign to save the Club from liquidation during season 2003/04.

The Club entered into administration for the second time in October 2010 and as before the fans mobilised quickly and the Society started a fighting fund to help save the Club. The supporters in organised groups and individually more than did their bit, helping to raise an astonishing £250,000 in six months, which combined with the fantastic efforts and sacrifices of the directors, staff and players allowed the Club to officially exit administration on 12th May 2011 and become a supporter-owned club with the Society as the majority shareholder.

In July 2013 the Society members voted in favour of the Club being authorised to issue sufficient new shares to grant controlling interest to FPS.

The role of the Society has changed over the past few years.

It is now widely recognised that sport in general and football, in particular, can be a force for good that can produce many social benefits, improving self-esteem, inspiring children and young people, promoting wellbeing and healthy lifestyles and contributing to social inclusion.

Over the last few years, the nature and scope of activities pursued by the Society have tended to focus on events aimed at contributing positively to the lives of the Society’s members, other Club supporters and the wider community as well as providing financial support for youth development and player sponsorship.

Based on the Dundee Football Club's 'Confirmation Statement' to Companies House on the 13th February 2019; DFCSS holds 12.7% ‘Ordinary’ shares and 7.7% ‘A Ordinary' shares which amount to a total shareholding of 20.4%, making the Society the largest shareholder in Dundee Football Club after FPS with a 68.2% shareholding at the time of the statement. Throughout 2019 there was a lengthy dialogue with the Club Board relating to the Club’s new share issue proposals and following extensive consultation with the members, a detailed final response was submitted to the Club. In summary, the Society resolved to support the proposed share issue and at the same time hold onto all of its 'Ordinary' and ‘A Ordinary' shares, in accordance with the majority of its members' wishes. The next 'Confirmation Statement' from the Club to Companies House in early 2020 will provide an update of the overall shareholding position.  

Finally, it's important to highlight that the Society is a democratic and representative voice of the supporters of DFC. Every member of the society over the age of 15 holds one voting share in the Society and any member over the age of 17 can be appointed to the Society Board.